Support Worker - Children's Respite
A support worker for Children’s Respite at Bethesda supports children with intellectual disabilities. A support worker cooperates with a team of people, including community resources and other support workers, and is responsible for a wide range of needs.
The position of support worker requires a high degree of Christian commitment and love to the children we support and to the philosophy of Bethesda. Confidentiality with respect to children receiving our services and the operations of Bethesda is required. The worker must have the desire and capacity to support children with diverse abilities, and must believe that the person receiving support is uniquely valuable.
A support worker may be scheduled to work shifts over a 24-hour day period and will report to and be assigned duties by the resource manager.
The following list of job duties and responsibilities are some of the duties that a support worker does. But the job is diverse.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend to the physical, recreational, leisure, emotional, cultural and spiritual needs of each child.
- Help each child grow in personal care skills and assist with personal care when needed.
- Assist each child to use their language and communication abilities.
- Help children develop interpersonal skills.
- Be attentive to the level of stress in the life of each child and assist in providing help to moderate the stress.
- Attend to daily health needs, reporting changes in status to the supervisor.
- Assist with dispensing of medications.
- Support each child in their faith practice and system of beliefs.
- Document the care of the child being supported.
- Complete vehicle, maintenance and safety documentation.
- Support household upkeep, cleaning duties, meal preparation and other household responsibilities.
- A heart to serve children with diverse abilities and their families.
- Be available to work a variety of shifts as Hours of work may vary.
- Possession of Canadian, landed immigrant or legal working status.
- Standard requirements for support workers employed in BC (Criminal Record Check, Medical Clearance, Class 5 Driver’s Licence (Class 4 will be required upon hire), Tuberculosis Screening, ICBC Driving Record, Immunization Records/History).
- A philosophy of care in line with Bethesda’s philosophy of Christian service and support for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Training will be provided.
- Competitive salary: $21.63-$25.19.
- Casual employees eligible to apply for part-time positions once all job requirements are obtained.
- Benefits, including 3 weeks vacation, are provided to permanent positions with guaranteed hours of 20 or more/week.
At Bethesda, we’re about creating community among the people we serve, our staff and our surrounding communities. We are all interdependent as we experience life together, and all valuable for the abilities we share. We know we learn from and need each other to thrive.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may apply with a resume, cover letter and references online at bethesdabc.com/careers/ email Careers@BethesdaBC.com, or mail to the Chief Human Resources Officer at 105-2975 Gladwin Rd, Abbotsford BC V2T 5T4.