Support Worker - Smithers (part-time)
A Support Worker at Bethesda supports people with intellectual disabilities in a variety of sites, or Resources. When you are hired, you may be assigned to provide Community Inclusion services. Community Inclusion offers quality of life opportunities for people with diverse abilities to enrich their lives, develop their abilities and experience personal growth.
The position of Support Worker requires a high degree of Christian commitment and love to the people we support and to the philosophy of Bethesda. Confidentiality with respect to people receiving our services and the operations of Bethesda is required. The worker must have the desire and capacity to support people with diverse abilities, and must believe that the person receiving support is uniquely valuable.
The following list of job duties and responsibilities are some of the duties that a Support Worker does. But the job is diverse and may vary.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend to the physical, recreational, leisure, emotional, cultural and spiritual needs of each person
- Help each person grow in personal care skills and assist with personal care when needed
- Assist each person to use their language and communication abilities
- Help people develop interpersonal skills, engage with family and friends, and participate in their community
- Arrange for celebrations on birthdays and days of special importance to each person
- Be attentive to the level of stress in the life of each person and assist in providing help to moderate the stress
- Attend to daily health needs, reporting changes in status to the supervisor
- Accompany people to medical or other specialist appointments and assist with dispensing of medications
- Support each person in their faith practice and system of beliefs
- Assist in maintaining files and collecting data
- Document the care of the people being supported
- Complete vehicle, maintenance and safety documentation
- If providing residential supports, support household upkeep, cleaning duties, meal preparation and other household responsibilities
- A heart to serve people with diverse abilities and their families
- Be available to work Saturdays.
- Possession of Canadian, landed immigrant or legal working status
- Standard requirements for Residential Support Workers employed in BC (Criminal Record Check, Medical Clearance, Class 4 Driver’s Licence, Tuberculosis Screening, ICBC Driving Record, Immunization Records/History)
- A philosophy of care in line with Bethesda’s philosophy of Christian service and support for people with intellectual disabilities.
- Supporting a young woman to participate in various activities in her community of Smithers, assisting her with life skills, and helping to facilitate a network of friends
- Training will be provided
- Starting rate of pay: $18.85/hr
At Bethesda, we’re about creating community among the people we serve, our staff and our surrounding communities. We are all interdependent as we experience life together, and all valuable for the abilities we share. We know we learn from and need each other to thrive.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants may apply online below or email, mail, or FAX a resume, covering letter, and references to the Chief Human Resources Officer.